Keep It Simple: Creating A Facebook Page for Your Ministry
Since the majority of college and university students’ online interactions happen through Facebook, it’s vital for your ministry to have a presence there. The best way to do this is by creating a Facebook Page (formerly known as a “Fan Page”.)
Media for Ministry has a post detailing how to create a Facebook Page and how to use the basic controls to manage the page, and I’ve outlined the basic setup steps below to accompany their video. Note: A few steps of the tutorial have changed since they recorded their video, so please read our checklist if you’re confused.
- Visit facebook.com/page
- Under the Official Page header, Choose “Brand, Product, or Organization”, and choose “Religious Organization” from the dropdown.
- Type the name for your new page. Make it descriptive: name your chapter, your university, and your organization, if appropriate. For example, my page is named “InterVarsity Christian Fellowship – UF Undergrad.”
- Log in to Facebook, if you’re not already.
- That’s it! Your page is online. Now you’re ready to start customizing it.
- Hover over the question mark profile picture, click “Change Picture”, and upload your logo image.
- Click “Edit this page” to edit the basic details of your page.
- Edit the basic information about your ministry.
- Link to any external web sites–YouTube, Twitter, a ministry web site, or the site for your national organization.
- Add other staff or student leaders as administrators
- See the second video for more
Check out Media for Ministry’s post to watch their video and a second, more advanced video about the settings for a Page.
Check back soon for more tips on communicating with your fans, creating events, linking your Facebook Page to other web sites, and more.